Jim Doty - Photo Blog
 

 
Photography: Photos, News, and Tips
 
 
   
 
Saturday, January 15, 2005
 
TRAVEL BY WEB CAM

Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park
Lake McDonald via web cam, Glacier National Park

No snow, poor light, very little sunshine, and not much to inspire an outdoor nature photographer, so I wandered the U.S. and the world via webcam.

I saw steam above Old Faithful, watched a sunset in the Great Smoky Mountains, caught some nice light on Lake McDonald (above) watched the sunset from both sides of the Grand Tetons, and caught some afternoon light in Yosemite (see below). Just what I needed.

The resolution on these webcams is limited but there is still enough information to figure out what it is like to be there. Wandering the world via my favorite webcams (via links at my websites) is a good lesson in light. Nice one day, blah the next. The light can change in a few minutes from boring to great and back again. And while the light is dramatic in one location, at the same time it can be flat in another. Too bad I can't check out my locations via the internet and then say "Beam me to Yosemite Scotty."

So we go to a location, spend some time, and look for good subjects and wait for good light. I had several straight days of rain and fog on a trip to Colorado when I could not see one mountain, or even part of one. I had several days of great light in Alaska. We take what we get and make the most of it. When magic happens, we make photographs like crazy.

Between now and your next photo trip (across town or around the world), you can wander the world via web cam. Some of my favorite web cam links are here. I just added some new links.

Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley via web cam

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.  

Home  |  Archives