Jim Doty - Photo Blog
 

 
Photography: Photos, News, and Tips
 
 
   
 
Thursday, October 06, 2005
 
BE READY

Coyote, Rocky Mountain National Park
Coyote near Bear Lake Road, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado.
Photo copyright (c) Jim Doty, Jr.


Years ago, I read a book by Erwin Bauer that recommended having a camera and long lens ready to go when you are in locations that might provide brief opportunities to photograph wildlife. Not long after that, I was driving across the Texas panhandle and a coyote stopped right next to the road. I pulled over and looked at it and it stared at me for 10-15 seconds before it took off. I would have had a nice picture if my camera was ready, but it was zipped up in my camera bag. Not enough time to get it out before the coyote disappeared.

Recently, I was in Rocky Mountain National Park, a prime wildlife location. My camera and long lens were laying on the car seat, ready to go. I spotted a coyote hunting near the road to Bear Lake. I pulled over, grabbed my camera and lens and took the above photo, one of seveeral before the coyote ran off. I have this photo only because I was ready for such a moment. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared." I didn't get my coyote photo in Texas years ago, but I did in Colorado.

If you like to photograph wildlife, be ready when you are in a potential wildlife location. You might thank me some day. One more thing, Thank you Erwin Bauer!

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.  

Home  |  Archives